Nationwide garbage stats
February 19, 2008
- It’s estimated that this year 222 million tons of waste will be generated by Americans.
- Americans’ total yearly waste would fill a convoy of garbage trucks long enough to wrap around the earth six times and reach halfway to the moon.
- Since 1950, people in the United States have used more resources than any generation who ever lived before them.
- Each American individual uses up 20 tons of basic raw materials annually.
- At the consumption level of the average American, at least four additional planets worth of resources would be needed to support the planet’s six billion inhabitants.
- By comparison, the average North American consumes ten times as much as the average person living in China and thirty times as much as the average person living in India.
- Why they call it junk mail…the U.S. Postal Service delivers more than 87 billion pieces of direct mail (advertising and promotional mail) every year.